4-Day Las Vegas and Arizona Road Trip Itinerary
When my Aunt told me that she arranged a 4-day trip for us during my visit to the United States, I got very excited. It was my first time on this part of the country so she planned a road trip starting from Las Vegas then going to Arizona. Las Vegas is a vibrant city and a favorite destination among tourists visiting the United States. I’ve only seen this place before in the movies. Then, the reality that I would finally able to see it made me ecstatic about this trip. But the part that really made me ultimately excited for this was the Arizona road trip. Seeing photos online, this place looks really remarkable. Arizona features several beautiful spots, amazing landscapes and national parks. It is also home to world-famous landmarks such as the Grand Canyon, Cathedral Rock, Antelope Canyon and so on.
First, an overnight stay in Las Vegas
Before we started our Arizona road trip, we spent a night in Las Vegas first. After taking an afternoon flight from Oakland, we arrived at the sin city late afternoon. Upon arrival, we rode a shuttle going to the car rental shop and picked up the car that my Aunt rented. Afterwards, we drove to Las Vegas Strip and checked in to our hotel for the night. We didn’t have much time then so after dropping our bags into our room, we went out and wandered the Strip.
The Strip refers to the stretch of Las Vegas boulevard lined with upscale hotels. This is where many of the largest hotel and resort properties in the world are located. Each of these properties feature unique and modern architecture. These hotels also offer wide variety of attractions, shops and interesting sights and sounds. Here are some of those that we were able to visit.
- M&M Chocolate Shop
- Flamingo Wildlife Habitat
- Mirage Volcano
- Bellagio Conservatory & Botanical Gardens
- Fountain of Bellagio – Dancing Water
- Stratosphere at the Venetian Grand Canal Shoppes
On our second day in Las Vegas, we also dropped by at the “Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas sign”. It is a short drive from the Strip. Once you get there, you’ll find a queue for people who would want to take photo. But if you know how to do some tricks in photography, you can simply take a photo from the side – and cover the people behind you.
Arizona road trip
With stunning natural beauty, unique wonders and magnificent vistas, Arizona is one of the best places to do a road trip in the United States. We started the journey from Las Vegas and ended the 3-day Arizona road trip in Phoenix. During the trip, we were able to visit some scenic and awe-inspiring places that Arizona boasts about. Even the view from the road side while we were driving from one destination to another were incredible. I was amazed of the spectacular terrains with rocky canyons and towering mountains. Arizona definitely become one of my favorites. To show you why, here are the tourist spots that we visited on our 3-day Arizona road trip.
Tourist spots in Arizona
- Hoover Dam – Named for President Hoover, the Hoover Dam is one of the world’s most remarkable manmade structures. Spanning the Black Canyon along the Colorado River between Arizona and Nevada, this massive dam has provided hydroelectric power to Arizona, California, and Nevada.
- Grand Canyon National Park – Considered as one of the Wonders of the World, the national park is home to the immense canyon. It features layered bands of red rock that reveal millions of years of geological history. This famous tourist attraction in Arizona also offer scenic overlooks. from several viewpoints including Mather Point, Yavapai Observation Station, Yaki point, Powell viewpoint, Hopi viewpoint and so on. There are also trail hikes if you have more time and up for an adventure.
- Lower Antelope Canyon – One of the top attractions located on Navajo land east of Page, Arizona is the Lower Antelope Canyon. It is an amazing natural wonder below the ground. Exploring this place was quite an adventure because we have to go down the steps. But underneath are beautiful canyons and breathtaking views. I must say, this is one of the most unique and beautiful destinations that I was able to visit in my life.
- Horseshoe Bend – Also in Page, Horseshoe Bend is a must visit destination. It’s an incredible attraction which name was inspired by its unusual shape, a horseshoe-shaped incised meander of the Colorado River. To reach the viewpoint, one must hike for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Devil’s Bridge – Another surprise during Arizona road trip was our visit to the Devil’s Bridge. We thought it was just an easy hike but we ended up hiking for more than an hour to reach this natural sandstone arch. It’s the largest one in Sedona area and offers breathtaking view and heavenly sights.
- Bell Rock – Before we left Sedona, we dropped by this parking lot near the highway and take some photos of the Bell Rock. This red rock formation is one of the most recognizable landmarks of Sedona, Arizona.
Itinerary – Las Vegas and Arizona road trip
Here’s the itinerary of our short trip to Las Vegas and our 3-day Arizona road trip.
- 3:00pm – Flight from Oakland to Las Vegas
- 4:30pm – Pick up the car at the rental shop
- 5:30pm – Check in at the hotel
- 7:00pm – Walk the Las Vegas Strip
- 9:00am – Dropped by at the “Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas” sign
- 10:00am – Shopping at Las Vegas South Premium Outlets
- 1:00pm – Drive to Hoover Dam
- 3:00pm – Arrival in Hoover Dam
- 4:00pm – Drive to Flagstaff
- 8:00pm – Arrival in Flagstaff, checked in to our hotel
- 10:00am – Drive to the Grand Canyon National Park
- 12:00pm – Arrival at the Grand Canyon National Park South Rim
- 1:00pm – Drive to Page
- 4:00pm – Arrival at the Lower Antelope Canyon
- 6:00pm – Arrival at the Horseshoe Bend
- 7:00pm – Drive to Flagstaff
- 10:00am – Drive to Sedona
- 12:00pm – Hike to Devil’s Bridge
- 3:00pm – Dropped by the Bell Rock
- 4:00pm – Drive to Phoenix, Arizona
- 6:00pm – Dropped the car at the rental shop
- 8:00pm – Flight from Phoenix to Oakland, California
Here are the places that we stayed when we were in Las Vegas and Arizona. We made Flagstaff as our based in Arizona while we explored different places in the state.
For other accommodation options, please check and compare using the Agoda search box below.
Book tours and amazing travel experiences in Las Vegas and Arizona with Klook. Find the best activities, attractions and fun things to do with exclusive discounts.
Got some questions? Put it in the comment section below!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. For more information, see my disclosures here.